Skip to main content

Heading down soon

I am leaving in a few minutes to head down to the RE office for my Methotrexate Injection. I am so crushed. Not only because this pregnancy did not work out, but because I have to sit out even longer now due to the side effects of the methotrexate... It really is HELL.


For those who are unfamiliar with methotrexate, and what it does and it's side effects- here is a little info-


Methotrexate is typically given by injection. Two injection sites are sometimes used to administer one dose. This method increases absorption of all of the medicine.

How It Works



Methotrexate stops the growth of rapidly dividing cells, such as embryonicfetal, and early placenta cells.
Methotrexate treatment can be given as a single shot or as several injections. If an ectopic pregnancy continues after 2 or 3 doses of methotrexate, surgical treatment is needed to remove the ectopic pregnancy.
During the week that you have methotrexate injections, your pregnancy hormone levels (human chorionic gonadotropin, or hCG) are tested several times. Your doctor will look for a drop in hCG levels, which is a sign that the pregnancy is ending (hCG levels sometimes rise during the first few days of treatment, then drop).
  • If your hCG levels have dropped enough after 1 week, you are then tested on a weekly basis until they are low enough to suggest that the pregnancy has safely ended. This usually takes about a month but can take more than 3 months.
  • If your hCG levels aren't dropping enough after 1 week, you will be given another dose of methotrexate. Your hCG levels will be watched as they were after the first dose.
  • If your hCG levels continue at higher levels, or if your doctor becomes concerned about tubal rupture, surgery will be needed to remove the ectopic growth.
Methotrexate series. Although it is an uncommon practice, methotrexate can be given every other day until pregnancy hormone (hCG) blood tests confirm that the pregnancy has ended. On alternate days, a medicine called leucovorin (folinic acid)is given by injection to decrease methotrexate side effects. Treatment time for a methotrexate series varies from case to case but can take a month or longer.

Why It Is Used



Methotrexate can be used to:
  • End an early ectopic pregnancy.
  • Prevent the growth of any embryonic or fetal cells that are left behind after surgery to end an ectopic pregnancy.
It is also used to treat certain types of cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, and as part of an induced abortion.

How Well It Works



Methotrexate works as well as surgery (salpingotomy) for treating an ectopic pregnancy when:1
  • You have low pregnancy hormone (hCG) levels (less than 5,000).
  • The embryo has no heart activity.
  • The ectopic pregnancy is small with no tubal rupture or bleeding.

Side Effects



All medicines have side effects. But many people don't feel the side effects, or they are able to deal with them. Ask your pharmacist about the side effects of each medicine you take. Side effects are also listed in the information that comes with your medicine. Severe side effects from methotrexate are most likely to develop with long-term use, such as when it is used for cancer treatment.

Common side effects.



  • Mouth ulcers
  • Queasiness
  • Vomiting
  •  Stomach ache
  •  Body malaise
  •  Febrile
  •  Lightheadedness
  • Headache
  • Sore throat
  • Hair loss
  • Dry skin
  • Sleepiness
  • Decrease in appetite
  • Photosensitivity
Call911or other emergency services right away if you have:
Call your doctor if you have:
  • Severe pain in your belly or pelvis.
  • Bloody vomit.
  • Signs of unusual bleeding or bruising, such as black and tarry stools or blood in the urine.
  • Sores in the mouth or on the lips.
Common side effects include:
  • Mild abdominal (belly) pain. Cramping belly pain is the most common side effect. It usually occurs during the first 2 to 3 days of treatment.
  • Vaginal bleeding or spotting.
  • Nausea, vomiting, and indigestion.
  • Fatigue, lightheadedness, or dizziness.
Rare side effects include:
  • Skin sensitivity to sunlight.
  • Inflammation of the membrane covering the eye.
  • Sore mouth and throat.
  • Temporary hair loss.
  • Severe low blood counts (bone marrow suppression).
  • Inflammation of the lung (pneumonitis).
Because of the risk of side effects, methotrexate treatment requires close medical supervision by a doctor who is experienced with this medicine. During methotrexate treatment, keep your doctor informed of any symptoms that you have.

Yea...Lovely little list huh? That is not even complete. They will be doing HCG draw every 4 days, and also doing a blood count and liver function draw as well, to be sure my body does OK with the methotrexate a second time in less than 5 months...
:::sigh:::
I am trying so hard to not get angry, and bitter...But It is getting hard to stay positive....

Comments

  1. Ugh, I hate that this is happening to you again! It's just not fair :( Sending lots of prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really cant put in2 words how I'm feeling for u & Sorry really isnt enuff so I simply just wanted to say ur in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs, kisses, prayers, and all things warm and fuzzy being sent your way. You are a strong woman. As hard as it may seem right now, please try to remember that! I am still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for any and all comments,

Popular posts from this blog

What you should know if you are considering a tubal reversal

Its been 8 years. 8 years since we took a trip to NC to see DR. Montieth in Chapel Hill. I remember being so excited. I had this picture in my head of how it was going to go during, and after it all. For those of you who don't know, I had my tubes tied in 2009, after the birth of my 3rd, directly following a traumatic still birth. It was a decision made out of fear and trauma, not an informed decision. I ended up having adverse health issues (PTLS) after, and was desperate to find a solution. I stumbled upon a private chat room with others also struggling. Several had gone for a reversal, and seemed to feel so MUCH better after. I had already seen my doctor umpteen times, and they offered no solutions, and insinuated it was "in my head".... I saw all of these ladies posting the day OF surgery saying that they felt relief! I was like, "Yes, this is it!!"... So we saved the 6 Grand, and went and did the reversal. I was PUMPED. I started a blog, YouTube video and F

Some statistics on Miscarriage

Miscarriage Statistics Overall miscarriage risk is 17-22%; risk after gestational sac is visible is 12-15% Miscarriage is one of the most frequent problems in human pregnancy. The most widely accepted definition is that proposed by the World Health Organization in 1977. The incidence among clinical pregnancies  (a pregnancy that is confirmed by both high levels of hCG and ultrasound confirmation of a gestational sac)  is about 12-15%, but including early pregnancy losses it is 17-22%. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11950476 After heartbeat is detected, risk of miscarriage is 9.4% at 6wks; 4.2% at 7wks; 1.5% at 8wks; 0.5% at 9wks To estimate the risk of miscarriage among asymptomatic women after a prenatal visit between 6 and 11 weeks of gestation where proof of fetal viability of a singleton was obtained by office ultrasonography at the same visit. METHODS: Those recruited were 697 asymptomatic women who attended their first antenatal visit between 6 (+2 days) and 11(+

Trust & New Pajamas

So, a blog comment I got the other day from wonderful woman, and awesome supporter of mine, caused me to pause a bit, and kind of evaluate some things about my faith and relationship with God. Which I truly appreciate, because she was kind and not judgy in her words...And I felt God gently nudge my heart each time I read the comment over... I felt my face start to burn with emotion, as tears welled up in my eyes...And I finally admitted to myself... I do NOT trust God...At least not fully, like I once did... But I desperately WANT to be at that point again....Trusting fully...And filled with peace... I walked into this journey,  to try for one more, 100% SURE , God was calling us/giving us the desire  to have another baby...I/we were, 100% certain we would walk away with a baby in our arms...As a matter of fact, I would have bet my LIFE on it. Now, 3 years later, I am broken, weary, and so utterly soul shattered, that I simply cannot "look" God in the eyes...H