Skip to main content

Use of intralipids for recurrent pregnancy loss- Info from Braverman-

On Tuesday, (6/3/2014) Dr. Braverman delivered a presentation at the 34th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Reproductive Immunology about the use of intralipid therapy for recurrent pregnancy loss.

Intralipid therapy for recurrent pregnancy loss – controversies and future directions

J Braverman, DR Ritsck
Braverman Reproductive Immunology PC, Woodbury, New York, USA

Intralipid is a 20% fat emulsion containing soybean oil triglycerides that was developed as a source of parenteral nutrition for patients unable to tolerate an oral diet.  Immunomodulatory functions of Intralipid infusions were subsequently noted and Intralipid infusions, touted by many as an inexpensive alternative to IVIG, are now widely used to treat recurrent pregnancy loss. 

While Intralipid infusions have been used for years in women experiencing recurrent pregnancy loss with anecdotal success, a satisfactory explanation for its therapeutic effects has been largely lacking.  We will discuss controversies regarding its potential immunological mechanisms of action.  There are several studies that demonstrate inhibitory effects of Intralipid on NK cell cytotoxicity, but there is so far no satisfactory description of the mechanism by which this effect is achieved.  It is also not clear if Intralipid-mediated suppression of NK cell cytotoxicity is a relevant mechanism for its effects on preventing immunological pregnancy loss.

Alternatively, Intralipid’s effects may be mediated through metabolic effects on T cells.  While resting T cells have a relatively low metabolic demand and use a balance of glucose, lipids, and amino acids as their metabolic fuel, activation of T cells causes them to undergo a dramatic metabolic reprogramming.  While activation of effector T (Teff) cells of the Th1, Th2 and Th17 induces a decrease in fatty acid oxidation (FAO) and shift glucose metabolism away from oxidative phosphorylation and towards glycolysis, regulatory T (Treg) cells conversely rely heavily on FAO, and not on glycolysis, for fuel.  The distinct metabolic differences between Treg and other T cell lineages may provide a target for selective immunomodulation that could be exploited therapeutically.  Recent studies in fact have demonstrated that addition of exogenous fatty acids to T cells during activation inhibits differentiation of Teff cells and favors differentiation of Treg cells.  Additionally, metformin increases Treg cell generation by binding to and activating AMP kinase, which in turn inhibits mTOR and causes a decrease in glycolysis and an increase in FAO.  Thus, Intralipid infusion may function as one arm of an immunometabolic approach to promote Treg cell-mediated tolerance of the semi-allogenic embryo and efficient embryo implantation.      

While there are obvious differences in their biochemical composition, Intralipid infusions are promoted by many clinicians as an inexpensive and effective functional alternative to IVIG.  We will discuss this controversial idea informed by both the literature and our extensive clinical experience with both Intralipid and IVIG, including evaluation of our own data.     

Finally, we will discuss areas for future research including the use of alternative intravenous fat emulsions containing higher ratios of ω-3 to ω-6 fatty acids.         



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What you should know if you are considering a tubal reversal

Its been 8 years. 8 years since we took a trip to NC to see DR. Montieth in Chapel Hill. I remember being so excited. I had this picture in my head of how it was going to go during, and after it all. For those of you who don't know, I had my tubes tied in 2009, after the birth of my 3rd, directly following a traumatic still birth. It was a decision made out of fear and trauma, not an informed decision. I ended up having adverse health issues (PTLS) after, and was desperate to find a solution. I stumbled upon a private chat room with others also struggling. Several had gone for a reversal, and seemed to feel so MUCH better after. I had already seen my doctor umpteen times, and they offered no solutions, and insinuated it was "in my head".... I saw all of these ladies posting the day OF surgery saying that they felt relief! I was like, "Yes, this is it!!"... So we saved the 6 Grand, and went and did the reversal. I was PUMPED. I started a blog, YouTube video and F

Some statistics on Miscarriage

Miscarriage Statistics Overall miscarriage risk is 17-22%; risk after gestational sac is visible is 12-15% Miscarriage is one of the most frequent problems in human pregnancy. The most widely accepted definition is that proposed by the World Health Organization in 1977. The incidence among clinical pregnancies  (a pregnancy that is confirmed by both high levels of hCG and ultrasound confirmation of a gestational sac)  is about 12-15%, but including early pregnancy losses it is 17-22%. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11950476 After heartbeat is detected, risk of miscarriage is 9.4% at 6wks; 4.2% at 7wks; 1.5% at 8wks; 0.5% at 9wks To estimate the risk of miscarriage among asymptomatic women after a prenatal visit between 6 and 11 weeks of gestation where proof of fetal viability of a singleton was obtained by office ultrasonography at the same visit. METHODS: Those recruited were 697 asymptomatic women who attended their first antenatal visit between 6 (+2 days) and 11(+

Trust & New Pajamas

So, a blog comment I got the other day from wonderful woman, and awesome supporter of mine, caused me to pause a bit, and kind of evaluate some things about my faith and relationship with God. Which I truly appreciate, because she was kind and not judgy in her words...And I felt God gently nudge my heart each time I read the comment over... I felt my face start to burn with emotion, as tears welled up in my eyes...And I finally admitted to myself... I do NOT trust God...At least not fully, like I once did... But I desperately WANT to be at that point again....Trusting fully...And filled with peace... I walked into this journey,  to try for one more, 100% SURE , God was calling us/giving us the desire  to have another baby...I/we were, 100% certain we would walk away with a baby in our arms...As a matter of fact, I would have bet my LIFE on it. Now, 3 years later, I am broken, weary, and so utterly soul shattered, that I simply cannot "look" God in the eyes...H